Number of forest fires dwindling
Crew fighting forest fires in northern Ontario
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:54PM EDT
After several weeks, the total of forest fires remaining in northern Ontario has been cut in half.
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services
Northeast Fire Region
September 19, 2018
Time of Report 16:50
- On the afternoon of September 19, there are 5 active forest fires across the Northeast. All 5 fires are under control or being observed.
- Six fires were declared out today.
- There were no new fires confirmed at the time of this update.
- The fire hazard is low to moderate across the Northeast region.
Parry Sound 33
· This fire is under control at 11,362 hectares.
· To find an updated map of current travel restrictions visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
· Although the fire perimeter remains restricted, waterway and road restrictions were lifted effective 18:00 (6:00pm) on August 15, 2018.
· The fire perimeter will remain restricted for quite some time.
· Forest fire fighters on the ground continue to action the remaining hot spots in a coordinated and prioritized manner.
· For inquiries about French River Provincial Park restrictions: 705-857-1630 ext. 224
· For Parry Sound District information, call 1-888-220-7242
Resources From Out of Province
Ontario is receiving support from across Canada to assist with the fire situation, in the form of equipment from the following provinces and territories:
- British Columbia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
Travel restrictions in parts of Parry Sound district due to Parry Sound 33 fire.
In order to ensure MNRF and emergency officials are able to continue fire suppression operations in areas affected by large forest fires, travel restrictions remain in place near the Parry Sound 33 forest fire. These restrictions are in place to ensure public safety and the safety of emergency personnel working in the affected areas.
Parry Sound 33 Fire Perimeter
There is no access permitted within the fire perimeter as shown on the Implementation Map unless authorized by travel permit issued by Parry Sound District or Sudbury District Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF).
For a visual representation of the affected areas please visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
Fire numbers and online information
- To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE
- To report a forest fire located south of the French or Mattawa rivers, please dial 911.
- Follow us on Twitter: @ONForestFires / @ONFeudeforêt
Prepared by Shayne McCool