MNRF recommends evacuations near French River
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Friday, July 20, 2018 2:49PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, July 20, 2018 2:55PM EDT
A forest fire south of Sudbury, near French River has nearly quadrupled in size and now has the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry recommending mandatory evacuations from the Key Harbour area.
MNRF officials say the fire that was 100 hectares in size Thursday night and is at 384 hectares as of Friday afternoon.
The ministry is also recommending that local authorities also order evacuations across the Key River, where the municipality of Killarney begins on the north side.
This area is boat access only, and people are being instructed to get in their boats and move upriver to Key Harbour landing, then leave the area by vehicle.
The Ontario Provincial Police and conservation officers are currently onsite helping notify the public of the situation, and facilitating this evacuation.
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry media advisory in its entirety:
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services
Forest Fire Situation – UPDATE ON PARRY SOUND 33
Northeast Fire Region
July 20, 2018
Time of Report 13:15
It will be an active day on the fireline today in the Northeast Region. Hot and dry conditions, combined with moderate winds are expected throughout the day.
Parry Sound 33 is currently 384 hectares in size and not under control.
This fire was discovered July 18 and has since received a significant amount of aerial fire suppression over the last 2 days, with CL415 waterbombers overhead from early afternoon, well into the evening.
Fire crews have been actively working to suppress this fire and values protection (sprinklers on structures) has been initiated as a precautionary measure and will continue.
Due to the current hot, dry and windy conditions in the Key Harbour area which is in proximity to Parry Sound 33, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry’s Parry Sound District has recommended that the community of Key River impose a mandatory evacuation of the Key Harbour area on the south side of the Key River; and has recommended that the municipality of Killarney impose a mandatory evacuation for residents on the north side of the Key River (SOUTH of French River Provincial Park), as a precaution.
This area is boat access only, and residents will be exiting the area using the nearby waterway.
Residents are being instructed to get in their boats and move upriver to Key Harbour Landing, then leave the area by vehicle.
The OPP and Conservation Officers are currently onsite helping notify the public of the situation, and facilitating this evacuation.
The situation is developing and more information will be released as it becomes available.
For information about the fire situation, call 705-564-6165.
For media inquiries, call 705-564-6146.
For French media inquiries, call 705-564-6156.
· Parry Sound 33 continues to create a significant amount of smoke along Hwy 69, south of Grundy Lake Provincial Park. Aerial fire suppression and ground crews are on site. It is expected that this 384 hectare fire will continue to create smoke in the days to come.
· Many Ontario residents have reported smoke drift in their communities. Smoky conditions are expected to continue when fires are active, until weather patterns change.
· AFFES is reminding the public that if they do see flames or smoke, please report it, and stay away from the area in the interest of public safety.
· If you have questions or concerns about smoke and your health, please contact Tele Health Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
FIRE NUMBERS AND ONLINE INFORMATION:
· To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE (3473)
· To report a forest fire located south of the French or Mattawa rivers, please dial 911.
· Follow us on Twitter: in English @ONForestFires or in French @ONFeuDeForêt
· For up to date information on current fires in the province or to check the forest fire hazard in your area, visit Ontario.ca/forestfire
Report prepared by Isabelle Chenard