Skip to main content

Sudbury, Ont., mine expansion project grand opening attracts dignitaries

Share

Ontario Premier Doug Ford was in Sudbury, Ont. on Thursday for the grand opening of Vale's Copper Cliff Complex South Mine expansion as Phase 1 has been completed on the $945 million project.

The project will enhancie the company's supply of low carbon nickel and other critical minerals.

"Connecting our northern Ontario mineral resources with Southern Ontario's manufacturing excellence the technology that will power our future depends on battery minerals like nickel and copper," said Ford addressing the crowd.

It's a revamped mine that is nearly a 1-billion dollar investment by Vale that will create 270 new jobs. The company said the mine was closed in 2009 due to unfavourable economic conditions.

"As part of our longer term planning processes we keep a close watch on all of ore bodies obviously and the economics changed we are bringing it back on line," said Gord Gilpin, head of Ontario operations for Vale.

Everyone in attendance donned bright orange, hi-visibility safety coveralls for the event that included an underground mine experience and mural unveiling.

Doug Ford and other dignitaries are in Sudbury for the grand opening of Phase 1 of Vale's Copper Cliff Complex South Mine. Oct. 13/22 (Alana Everson/CTV Northern Ontario)

Both area MP and MPPs were also in attendance with the Ontario Minister of Mines George Pirie and Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation Gimaa (Chief) Angus Toulouse.

Pirie said the revamped mine will help to meet needs now and into the future.

"The current needs means we are developing the electric vehicle technology. We are decarbonizing our society and a big part of that is in fact it can't happen without mining," explained Pirie.

Officials with Vale added the project will see the development of approximately 10 million tonnes of ore delivering 14 years of production over its lifetime. 

Earlier this year, the province released a critical mineral strategy as northern Ontario mines look to supply the electrical vehicle battery market.

Article updated by first-hand reporting by CTV News' Alana Everson.

Correction

A previous version of the article indicated that the project cost was $760 million.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

'Rust' armourer gets 18 months in prison for fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin on set

A movie weapons supervisor was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin on the set of the Western film "Rust," during a hearing Monday in which tearful family members and friends gave testimonials that included calls for justice and a punishment that would instill greater accountability for safety on film sets.

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Stay Connected