Chippewa Secondary School in North Bay is closed Thursday because of a gas leak, the principal said on social media.

"All staff and students are to remain home," principal Krista Tucker Petrick said in a post just before 7 a.m.

"Further information to follow."

Fire crews were called to the school just after 6 a.m. Feb. 29, North Bay deputy fire chief Greg Saunders said in an email.

"A significant leak was discovered," Saunders said.

"The building was evacuated and closed by firefighting personnel. Representatives from Enbridge Gas arrived on-scene and determined that the school had to remain closed until the leak could be remedied."

There were no injuries as a result of the incident Saunders confirmed to CTVNewsNorthernOntario.ca in an email.

"The gas to the school has been shut off and secured," he said.

Families should have received three automated calls about the closure.

"I believe the system made two calls to make sure it got out to people and then a third because the first two didn’t state the school’s name," the school said.