Skip to main content

North Bay doctor accused of assaulting patient, threatening another


A North Bay doctor is facing charges after allegedly assaulting a patient with a weapon and threatening another person at the hospital, police say.

The 45-year-old man was arrested Monday after turning himself in at police headquarters, North Bay Police Service said in a news release Tuesday.

The alleged incident happened Thursday and the criminal investigations unit has concluded its investigation, police said.

Dr. Scott Kerrigan, the chief of staff at North Bay Regional Health Centre (NBRHC), confirmed with in an email an incident did take place at the hospital last Thursday.

"As this is a police matter, we cannot provide additional information," Kerrigan said.

"What I can tell you is that NBRHC has processes and policies in place to help avoid violence in the workplace and to deal appropriately with any incidents that may arise. Despite our best efforts, incidents do sometimes occur with our patients and staff."

He said the situation in this circumstance warranted police involvement.

"The safety of our hospital community will always be a priority for our health centre," Kerrigan said.

The accused has been charged with assault with a weapon and uttering threats.

He was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear in court at a later date.

Kerrigan said, since the incident, the physician involved is not practicing at the hospital and may return pending resolution.

His name has not been provided in order to protect the identity of the victims, police spokesperson Merv Shantz told in an email.

While Shantz said they are not releasing the type of weapon involved, he confirmed the patient was under the doctor's care at the time of the incident. Top Stories

Oilers rally to beat Stars, tie Western Conference Final

With the Edmonton Oilers down two goals late in the first period of Game 4, Rogers Place was quiet, fans seemingly bewildered at the early, quick scoring of the Dallas Stars and the slow start by the home team. Ryan McLeod's marker with six-and-a-half minutes in the opening frame left changed all that.

Stay Connected