Skip to main content

Man found with severe burns after Sudbury dumpster fire

Share

A man is in hospital in serious condition after being found with severe burns following an early morning dumpster fire near the Four Corners area of Sudbury.

Police and firefighters were called to the area of Food Basics and House of Kin on Regent Street in the city's South End just after 2 a.m. Wednesday, a news release said.

While emergency crews were en route to the dumpster fire, a second call came in about an injured man found in the same area.

"Detectives of our criminal investigations division are working in collaboration with the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office to determine the cause of the fire," police said.

"The investigation remains ongoing as Officers will be in the area canvassing for video surveillance. Greater Sudbury Police Service is asking anyone that may have witnessed or had been in the area at the time of the fire to come forward."

Tips can be submitted to police at 705-675-9171 ext. 2341 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 705-222-8477.

Police have an area in the middle of the parking lot between the grocery store and Fionn MacCool's restaurant cordoned off with yellow police tape. 

There are two shipping containers next to the dumpster which is surrounded by a wooden fence.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

Israel's War Cabinet convenes to determine next steps after Iran attack

Iran’s unprecedented attack on Israel early Sunday marked a change in approach for Tehran, which had relied on proxies across the Middle East since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October. All eyes are now on whether Israel chooses to take further military action, while Washington seeks diplomatic measures instead to ease regional tensions.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Stay Connected