Highlights of Ontario budget
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Friday, April 12, 2019 12:55PM EDT
The spring budget from the Ford government was presented on Thursday by the Ontario Finance Minister and Nipissing MPP Vic Fedeli.
Among the things in the budget are:
- A tax credit for parents with children in daycare
- Free dental care coverage for low income seniors
- School boards are getting some clarity on their funding figures going forward and how many teaching positions will be cut
- Expansion of beer and wine sales in Ontario,
- Legalizing tailgating parties
- Changing the licence plate slogans
- Hospitals are also getting bigger budgets as they take on more duties
“The mental health and addiction systems in Ontario have been challenged for too long. That’s why our government is flowing $3.8 billion over 10 years to support acute mental health in-patient beds, community health, and justice services, and supportive housing. Under the leadership of Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Long-Term Care Christine Elliot, we are confident that the healthcare system will continue to prove for the benefit of all individuals.” said Fedeli.
Fedeli says Ontario will return to a balanced budget in five years.