Skip to main content

Evidence from broken cellphone highlighted during triple murder trial in Sudbury

Share

A digital forensics analyst testified Monday in Sudbury at the trial of Liam Stinson, who is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in connection to an April 2021 firebombing.

Det. Const. Darryl Grisdale with Greater Sudbury Police testified about two electronic devices seized from Stinson’s two residences following the fire.

One was a Samsung cellphone and the other a heavily damaged LG cellphone. There was also a tablet that belonged to Guy Henri that was collected from the debris of the fire.

Grisdale told the court that data was easily extracted from the Samsung phone and the tablet, but due to the damage, data on the LG phone needed advanced extraction.

Jamie-Lynn Rose, Jasmine Somers and Guy Henri died following a fire at a townhouse on Bruce Avenue on April 11, 2021. One other person, David Cheff, was injured.

Crown prosecutors had previously said they plan to prove that Stinson used drugs and money to get others to firebomb the Bruce Avenue home belonging to Cheff, who had been helping Stinson’s estranged girlfriend, Jamie-Lynn Rose.

The Crown rested its case Thursday in the trial of Liam Stinson, who is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in connection with an arson in 2021 in Sudbury. (Photo from video)

There had been a 300-page exhibit that was going to be provided to the jury, but the Crown was asked to pare it down. Some of that exhibit included screenshots of messages between Stinson and Henri the day before the fire.

Digital records pulled from the LG phone included an internet search history, including a Google search of the victims’ names and ‘Sudbury hospital’ in the hours after the fire.

Someone using the LG phone also visited the CTV Northern Ontario news site three times on April 11, 2021, to read an article written about the Bruce Avenue fire.

The Crown is expected to conclude its case this week. The defence has not said if it will call any witnesses.

Stinson has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

o    Download our app to get local alerts on your device

o    Get the latest local updates right to your inbox

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Group tied to Islamic State plotted fatal Ontario restaurant shooting: Crown

A gunman who is accused of killing a young Ontario man and shooting four of his family members at their small Mississauga restaurant in 2021 was allegedly part of a trio who had pledged allegiance to the listed terrorist group Islamic State, a Crown attorney said in an opening statement in the Brampton murder trial this week.

Stay Connected