Dust off your blades of glory for Canada 150 Skating Day
Canada 150 Skating Day at arenas on Sunday
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Tuesday, December 5, 2017 4:20PM EST
Few things are more Canadian than spending some time on the ice.
As the Canada 150 celebrations wind down, arenas across the country are preparing for a national “Skating Day.”
For the first time ever, visitors will be able to skate on a temporary rink at Parliament Hill, but for those who will not be making the trip to Ottawa, hundreds of local rinks will be taking part in celebrating one of Canada’s favourite pastimes.
On Sunday, December 10th, hundreds of community centres from coast-to-coast will host free skating parties, for all ages and skill levels. This is being done through special grants provided by the Canadian Heritage Foundation.
As the oldest club still running in the north, Copper Cliff Skating Club in Sudbury will begin its festivities at 12:30 p.m. at McClelland Arena. The club has been around since 1935 and offers various levels of programming whether you are just learning to skate, aspire to become a figure skater, or are thinking about joining its synchronized skating team.
The Copper Cliff skating party will include a variety of on ice activities and refreshments such as cake, hot chocolate and popcorn. The event, which goes until 3 pm, will end with a free public skate, so be sure to bring your skates and helmet!
“Canada 150 Skate Day” parties will also be held at the following Northern Ontario locations:
- Canada Summit Centre - 20 Park Dr, Huntsville
- Carlo Cattarello Arena - 1 Golden Ave, South Porcupine
- Claude Larose Recreation Centre - 1008 Edward St, Hearst
- East Ferris Community Conplex, 1267 Village Rd, Astorville
- Humphrey Community Centre - 15 Humphrey Dr, Parry Sound
- Kapuskasing Sports Palace -70 Brunelle Rd N, Kapuskasing
- Massey & District Community Centre - 455 Government Rd, Massey
- Michipicoten Memorial Community Centre - Chris Simon Dr (at Mission Rd), Wawa
- Moonbeam Sportsplex - 28 Albert St, Moonbeam
- Northeastern Manitoulin and the Islands Recreation Centre - 9001 Hwy-6 S, Little Current
- Manitouwadge Community Centre - 2 Manitou Rd (and Station Rd), Manitouwadge
To share your experience and join the conversation, use #150Moment with your social media posts.