Vale to demolish Stobie Mine No. 9 shaft this week
SUDBURY -- Vale’s iconic No. 9 shaft at Stobie Mine will come down this week, the company announced in a news release Tuesday.
The demolition of No. 9 shaft follows the demolition of two other shafts at the site last week and a number of buildings at the site earlier this year.
“No. 9 shaft is a concrete structure that is 95 metres high, so it must be blasted down instead of dismantled,” Patrick Boitumelo, head of mining & milling for Vale’s North Atlantic operations, said in the release.
“This demolition work has been carefully planned with a team of internal and external experts and is not expected to impact the community.”
Residences and businesses near the mine site may hear or feel minor activity related to the demolition this week. Construction noise and dust mitigation will be in effect.
For safety reasons, the public is asked to stay away from the construction site. No public access to the demolition site will be permitted.
Built in 1966, No. 9 shaft is one of the last remaining structures on the Stobie Mine site, which was placed on care and maintenance in 2017.
Demolition of the mine site structures will reduce maintenance costs and pave the way for potential new development currently being studied.
“The No. 9 shaft holds many fond memories for our employees,” said Boitumelo. “It’s an important part of both our company and our community’s history. We treasure those memories while looking forward to the next chapter of the Stobie Mine site.”