SUDBURY -- As the novel coronavirus pandemic continues, CTV News Northern Ontario is continuing to keep track of the number of active cases of COVID-19 in the northeast region. Check back often for daily updates on the number of new, active and resolved cases.

Novel coronavirus infections are reported by public health agencies for residents that live within the districts. In northeastern Ontario, there are five health units.

The number of active cases comes from the total confirmed positive less all reported deaths and cases that have been resolved.

The Ford government announced stay-at-home orders Tuesday for the next 28 days after new after infections continue to surge threatening to overwhelm the Ontario healthcare system despite a province-wide lockdown that went into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Boxing Day. The new emergency orders took effect at 12:01 a.m. Jan. 14.

Northern Ontario, which includes communities from Parry Sound north, was initially subject to only a two-week lockdown, but that was extended following a steep rise in the number of new infections. Despite the new stay-at-home orders, students and education workers in the north will continue with in-class learning at schools in the northern region of the province. A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Education told CTV News due to the "low levels of cases and transmission" in northern Ontario schools, they will remain open.

Prior to the province-wide lockdown, four of the five health units in northeastern Ontario were in the green - prevent category of Ontario's COVID-19 Response Framework. The only one that was listed in yellow - protect was Timiskaming Health Unit after a sharp rise in cases in mid-December.

In the last month, since Christmas Eve, there have been 520 new infections confirmed, an increase of 88 per cent, and 403 cases resolved, including 10 deaths. The newest COVID-related death was announced by Algoma Public Health Monday evening, bringing the total number of fatalities due to the novel coronavirus to 22 in the northeast.

As of Jan. 25 at 6 p.m., there are 148 active cases in northeastern Ontario after 15 new infections were confirmed Monday and 13 cases marked as resolved, including one COVID-related death. Here is how the disease rates stand in each of the northeastern health units:

Algoma Public Health

There are currently 11 active cases of COVID-19 in the Algoma District after public health officials recorded another nine infections resolved Monday, including the tragic news of the area's second fatality due to the disease.

Last week, there were eight new cases confirmed and 25 resolved, including the Algoma District's first COVID-related death on Monday.

There is currently one COVID-related hospitalization in the district.

The previous week, 14 new infections were confirmed while 34 cases were resolved. 

There are two confirmed COVID-19 cases within staff of the Algoma District School Board. One involves a staff member at Francis H Clergue Public School and the other is R M Moore Public School, both in Sault Ste. Marie. Health officials are said to be contacting close contacts directly. 

Since New Year's Eve, there have been 85 new cases of the disease, accounting for more than half of the total cases in the district since the pandemic began, and 77 have been resolved.

Algoma health officials announced on Thursday high school students that did not return to in-class learning with the rest of northern Ontario on Jan. 11 will return to school on Jan. 25.

Health officials said passengers seated in rows 3-9 and flight crews on the Dec. 28 Air Canada flight #8325 from Toronto to Sault Ste. Marie are considered close contacts of a person infected with COVID-19. This after public health officials issued a warning to the public on Monday about three public exposure risks including a New Year's Eve gathering at 66 Sage Street in Garden River and two Dec. 30 Air Canada flights. Those on flight #8498 from Windsor to Toronto, especially passengers in Rows 3-9, and #8321 from Toronto to Sault Ste. Marie, especially those in Rows 3-7, along with flight crew that served in these areas are all considered close contacts.

Algoma Public Health declared an outbreak at Great Northern Retirement Home in Sault Ste. Marie after a staff member tested positive for the disease. Surveillance testing of staff and residents at the facility is underway. It is currently the second active outbreak in the district. On New Year's Eve, a COVID-19 outbreak was declared at Extendicare Maple View after two long-term care home staff members tested positive for the disease.

"Across Ontario, confirmed cases of COVID-19 are attributed to where a person resides. In special circumstances, where people happen to be travelling, Algoma Public Health may need to manage cases of confirmed COVID-19 who are temporarily in Algoma but who are not Algoma residents," public health said in a news release. "Non-Algoma residents will appear as active cases in brackets but will not be counted as part of Algoma’s overall confirmed case count."

CTV News is including the numbers in the count as it presents a risk to residents.

"Though this increase in numbers is alarming, we as a community need to recommit to following public health guidance during this pandemic. Indoor organized public events and social gatherings are not permitted except with the members of the same household. Limit your trips in the community for necessities such as food, medication, medical appointments, or supporting vulnerable community members," said Dr. Jennifer Loo, the medical officer of health for Algoma. "If you know of someone who is vulnerable, or who needs to isolate and stay home, reach out to offer help with essentials, or connect with them to offer social support by phone or online."

The New Year's Eve gathering was reportedly held without the homeowner's knowledge. Anyone who attended is asked to self-isolate immediately and call public health.

"Public health is advising the public of this exposure because we do not have information to contact everyone who may have been exposed," said the health unit. "It is imperative that anyone who attended this gathering follow public health guidance to prevent further spread of the virus."

Algoma Public Health has also extended a special advisory again to residents who regularly cross the Canada-U.S. border for work or study due to the rising cases of COVID-19 in Chippewa County, Michigan. Health officials are advising Canadians to avoid cross-border travel until at least Jan. 26 and to use virtual options when possible. Read more about the advisory here.

"Anyone who is ill, even with mild symptoms, must stay home and self-isolate away from others," said Algoma Public Health's website. "Do not have close contact with others outside the immediate household of people you live with. Limit non-essential trips outside of home and avoid non-essential travel to other regions of the province."

"All returning international travellers must stay home for 14 days," said Algoma Public Health.

Since the pandemic began, there have been 150 confirmed positive cases, 139 resolved, including two COVID-related death in the Algoma District. The majority of the positive cases, 128, have been in the Sault Ste. Marie area, 19 in central and east Algoma, and less than five in the Elliot Lake area.

North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit

There are currently three active cases of COVID-19 in the North Bay and Parry Sound Districts after two infections were resolved on Friday and no new cases were reported. There are currently no COVID-related hospitalizations in the districts.

Last week, there were four new infections confirmed and 12 cases resolved.

All three active cases are travel-related exposures. One of the active cases involve a resident in Nipissing while the other two are from the Parry Sound area. This after 18 new infections were confirmed last week and 30 others resolved.

A COVID-19 outbreak has been declared at Eastholme Home for the Aged in Powassan after one staff member tested positive. An outbreak has also been declared at Lakeland Long Term Care in Parry Sound after one staff member tested positive for the disease. There are currently two outbreak-related infections in the district.

The previous week, 32 new cases were confirmed. 

There have been 73 new cases since Christmas Eve and 86 cases have been resolved in this same period. This accounts for 39 per cent of the total number of COVID-19 cases since the pandemic began.

A total of 53 new infections were confirmed in December, 37 per cent of the total cases since the pandemic began. In November, there were 32 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed, at the time accounting for more than 40 per cent of the total cases in these two districts since the pandemic began.

On Tuesday, health officials said in a news release that despite two members of the White Woods school community testing positive for COVID-19 last week when schools were still closed, there is no risk to other in the school community.

The COVID-19 outbreak declared at Nipissing University in North Bay on Nov. 24 is considered over more than a month later. It affected 19 people after six members of the school's athletic community tested positive for the disease.

Health officials said they are waiting for confirmation from the province about when the North Bay and Parry Sound Districts will receive the COVID-19 vaccine, but when it does priority will be given to employees and residents at long-term care homes, as well as retirement homes and other congregate care settings for seniors.

A total of 186 cases have been confirmed in the Nipissing and Parry Sound Districts to date, of which 183 have been resolved, including one COVID-related death on May 15. Nipissing District has had 109 cases total, while 77 cases are from the Parry Sound District.  

Public Health Sudbury & Districts

There are currently 77 active cases of COVID-19 in the Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts after 12 new infections were confirmed in Greater Sudbury and two cases were deemed resolved on Monday afternoon.

Public health declared a COVID outbreak at Marymount Academy in Sudbury after a second person tested positive for the disease. This marks the third school in the city to declare an outbreak in the last week. Marymount Academy suspended all classes Monday after one case of COVID-19 affecting two classes resulted in a staff shortage. It has now affected the whole school.

Sudbury health officials declared a COVID outbreak at Pius XII Monday morning after the third case connected to the school. The first case involved Grade 1, and officials said the disease has now spread to include Grade 2/3, Grade 6 and two bus routes, morning bus L106 and afternoon bus L104.

A COVID outbreak was declared at St. David Catholic School in Sudbury on Tuesday after two more people were found to be infected with the disease, bringing the total number of cases connected to the faciltiy to three. Officials with the Sudbury Catholic District School Board announced the first case of COVID-19 at St. David's Catholic Elementary School on Jan. 17. According to a letter sent to parents, the Senior Kindergarten/Grade 1 class has been dismissed as a result. It is not expected to resume in-person learning until Jan. 30. On Monday, the whole school was moved to online learning.

"With additional cases reported this week, Public Health has determined there is potential widespread COVID-19 infection among the school community. Broader testing of the school community will assist with additional case finding. This combined with isolation of all school attendees is intended to limit further spread," Public Health Sudbury & Districts said in a news release on Friday.

Three other COVID outbreaks were declared by Public Health Sudbury & Districts on Sunday. They include the French Catholic elementary school St. Denis and two long-term care facilities, Extendicare Falconbridge and The Elizabeth Centre in Val Caron. St. Denis said as of Sunday, there are three infections connected to the facility which prompted officials to close the school for all students on Monday.Over the weekend, a total of 21 new cases were confirmed and six were resolved.

Last week, there were a total of 41 new cases confirmed, 51 resolved, including two deaths.

The two COVID-related deaths are connected to the outbreak at Amberwood Suites that was declared Jan. 5 after a resident tested positive for the disease. It has resulted in five COVID-related deaths since Jan. 15, the most recent was Thursday night. Health officials said there are 38 cases of COVID-19 linked to the senior's residence in city's South End. Five of those cases involve staff members, while the other 33 are residents.

The previous week, 30 new infections were confirmed and 42 cases were resolved, including three deaths.

Since Christmas Eve, there have been 207 new cases of COVID-19 and 133 resolved, including five deaths. This accounts for 45 per cent of the total number of cases since the pandemic began.

An outbreak that began at Sudbury long-term care home St. Joseph's Villa on Dec. 31 after one staffer tested positive for COVID-19 has been declared over. It was the long-term care home's second outbreak since the pandemic began.

Vale has confirmed the first COVID-19 case at Coleman Mine and said there is no evidence of workplace transmission.

"Self-isolation means not leaving home for work or school, not using public transportation, and avoiding contact with others," public health said.

In November, 104 new cases were confirmed, which accounts for more than 36 per cent of all cases in the Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts since the pandemic began. 

A total of 464 positive cases have been confirmed in the Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts, 387 resolved with seven COVID-related deaths. The majority of cases, 422, have been in Greater Sudbury, while 18 were in the Sudbury District and another 24 were in the Manitoulin District.

As of Monday at noon, there are still nine COVID-related hospitalizations at Health Sciences North, none are in the intensive care unit (ICU), down from 13. Seven more patients at the Sudbury hospital have been tested and are waiting for results, none in the ICU, up from four. A man in his 80s with COVID-19 was transferred from the Timiskaming District to the Sudbury hospital Jan. 8 and passed away the following Monday, marking the first COVID-related death of a Timiskaming District resident.

Porcupine Health Unit  (Includes the Town of Hornepayne, which is a part of the Algoma District)

There are currently 54 active cases of COVID-19 in the Cochrane District, after three new infections were confirmed in the Hearst/Hornepayne area due to close contact with other known cases and two other cases were deemed resolved Monday evening.

This after 28 new infections confirmed and five resolved over the weekend, including two more COVID-related deaths.

On Saturday, 25 cases were added, 19 of which are connected to the outbreak at Extendicare in Kapuskasing. Health officials also announced the second death in just two days, which is also believed to be connected to the outbreak. This brings the total number of COVID-related to fatalities in the Cochrane District to 11.

Last week, 23 new infections were confirmed and 13 cases were resolved.

This after the district's first COVID-related death since August was announced Thursday night. The fatality involves a resident at Extendicare in Kapuskasing, where a COVID-19 outbreak was declared on Jan. 7 after a staff member and two residents at the facility tested positive for the disease. Now there have been a total of 18 cases related to this long-term care home outbreak, 14 involve residents at the long-term care facility and the other four are staff members. This marks the Cochrane District's tenth COVID death.

The Porcupine Health Unit (PHU) reported three new positive cases of COVID-19 on Sunday morning, with one more linked to the outbreak at Kapuskasing Extendicare and the other two from individuals residing in the area of Hearst/Hornepayne.

Of the active cases in the Cochrane District, 29 are outbreak-related, 17 were exposed through close contact with an infected person, two through community spread, and six cases are still under investigation.

On Jan 10., an outbreak was declared at the Kidd Mine in Timmins, after two employees were confirmed to have tested positive for the virus. One of these employees is a resident in the health unit's jurisdiction, while the other resides in another health unit's area.

Of the active cases in the Cochrane District, two are from Timmins, 29 from Kapuskasing, Opasatika, Val Rita-Harty, Moonbeam, Fauquier-Strickland area, three from the Cochrane, Matheson, Iroquois and Smooth Rock Falls area and 20 are from the area of Hearst, Hornepayne.

Since Christmas Eve, there have been 97 new cases and 52 resolved, accounting for 43 per cent of the total positive cases since the pandemic began.

On Jan. 2, health officials warned recent passengers of an Air Creebec flight, which flew out of Timmins on Mon. Dec. 28 at 9:11 a.m., to self-isolate, as they are now considered close contacts of a confirmed case.

Dr. Lianne Catton, the medical officer of health for the Cochrane District, shared a video message on the Porcupine Health Unit's Facebook page Dec. 8. Watch it here.

Anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should self-isolate and call the health unit.

"An infected person can spread COVID-19 starting 48 hours before having any symptoms or testing positive for the disease," the health unit said.

Public health officials say there is a continued risk of community spread.

Since the pandemic began, 224 cases have been confirmed positive in the Timmins District and the Town of Hornepayne. Of those, 170 cases have been resolved, including 11 deaths.

Timiskaming Health Unit

There are currently three active infections of COVID-19 in the Timiskaming District after three new cases were confirmed Friday afternoon following a full day with zero active cases. This comes as the health unit declared a COVID outbreak at Extendicare Tri-town in Haileybury. All three cases involve staff members who tested positive through the province's asymptomatic surveillance program at long-term care homes in Ontario.

The last time a new infection was added was last week, on Jan. 12.

The first COVID-related death involving a resident of the Timiskaming District happened last Monday.  A man in his 80s with the disease was transferred to Health Sciences North on Friday and passed away after three days. He was exposed to the disease through close contact with another confirmed case and was tested on Christmas Eve.

Since the beginning of December, the number of COVID-19 cases in the health unit's coverage area has more than quadrupled, rising from 19 to 86. There have been 55 new cases since Christmas Eve, accounting for 64 per cent of the total infections since the pandemic began. Fifty-five of those have been resolved.

Health officials have also closed the Encore Club in Kirkland Lake at the order of a public health inspector.

On Dec. 18, the Timiskaming Health Unit also declared a COVID-19 outbreak at Teck Pioneer Residence in Kirkland Lake after one staff member tested positive for the disease. That outbreak has been declared over.

Since the pandemic began, there have been a total of 89 confirmed cases in the Timiskaming District, and 86 have been resolved including one COVID-related death on Jan. 11, 2021.  

Read more about the first wave of COVID-19 in northeastern Ontario here.

RESOURCES

Take the government's COVID-19 self-assessment here

Daily school screening tool here

Find an Ontario assessment centre near you here

Get the COVID Alert App without sharing any personal information