Sudbury's Ledo Hotel closes after fire, multiple safety issues
SUDBURY -- The Ledo Hotel downtown Sudbury is closed after a weekend fire displaced about a dozen tenants and revealed a number of safety issues.
Early Sunday morning, fire officials arrived at the Ledo Hotel and discovered that a mattress had caught fire.
“The residents had taken the mattress out of the building and so our crews helped extinguish that fire and then do some investigative work inside to ensure that the fire had not spread,” said Greater Sudbury Fire Services Deputy Chief Jesse Oshell.
After entering the building, fire officials said they noticed multiple safety hazards, which led them to an inspection.
“There were some electrical concerns, there were concerns with the life safety systems, the fire alarm and smoke defection system,” said Oshell. "So, we contacted Sudbury Hydro so that they could send out their experts in to evaluate. We looked at the alarm systems from our perspective, and Sudbury Hydro determined that the power needed to be disconnected from the structure and so it was.”
A group called Le Ledo Inc announced earlier this month it had plans to purchase and redevelop the property.
After hearing about the weekend fire, the group expressed shock and sadness for the people displaced, and also issued this statement:
“While Le Ledo Inc. has entered into an agreement to purchase the building, Le Ledo Inc. has not taken ownership or possession of the property. We are thankful that no one was injured on the weekend.”
There is no word from the company about whether the project will go forward, or if it will be delayed.
Oshell says a total of 13 residents were displaced, and were transported to a temporary location.