Smoke alarm saves Capreol family’s lives
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Monday, June 24, 2019 9:38AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, June 24, 2019 9:46AM EDT
A family from the Greater Sudbury community of Capreol has been displaced from their home on Hanna Street after a fire on Sunday night.
Mike Valiquette is the platoon chief for Greater Sudbury Fire Services.
He says the family was woken up by the sound of the smoke alarm and that the husband and wife were able to get their three young children out of the house.
No injuries were reported.
Fire officials say the probable cause of the fire was an unattended candle and that the extensive smoke damage is confined to the basement.
Damage is estimated at $200,000.
The family of five is now staying in a hotel.