SUDBURY -- A residential fire in Sault Ste. Marie on Saturday evening was caused by a cigarette, the fire department said in a news release Monday.

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews responded to the call around 7:30 p.m. in the 300 block of Wellington Street East.

"Upon arrival, there was visible black smoke emitting from the upper level of the two-unit residential dwelling," the release said. "Fire crews were able to contain the fire."

Upon investigation, a Sault fire prevention officer discovered "the fire was caused by a cigarette in proximity to combustibles."

The fire cause extensive damage to the interior upper level of the dwelling. A resident was taken to Sault Area Hospital with injuries sustained from the fire.