Police recover stolen vehicle and two loaded guns after short chase on Hwy 17 near Iron Bridge
Sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun seized from 19-year-old. (OPP)
SUDBURY -- Ontario Provincial Police say a 19-year-old has been arrested and is facing a list of 27 charges following a short car chase that revealed a stolen vehicle and two loaded guns.
Police said a traffic complaint was called in around 8:49 p.m. Tuesday after a vehicle was reportedly swerving all over the road on Highway 17 in Iron Bridge, east of Sault Ste. Marie.
Officers tried to perform a traffic stop on the speeding vehicle around 9:09 p.m., but the driver fled west. Shortly after, police responded to a crash involving the same vehicle on Melwell Road and found a man passed out in a ditch with a duffle bag.
Police discovered the vehicle had been stolen from Sault Ste. Marie and during a search of the bag, they found a loaded sawed-off 12-gauge shotgun, a loaded sawed-off semi-automatic .22 calibre rifle, six suspected valium pills, cannabis paraphernalia, break-in tools, a mask, personal cheques and several bank cards.
During his arrest, the accused allegedly threatened to kill police and their families. He was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries before being put into police custody.
The teen has been charged with:
- Possession property obtained by crime over $5,000
- Possession of break-in instruments
- Flight from a peace officer
- Operation while impaired - alcohol and drugs
- Dangerous operation
- Uttering threats-cause death of bodily harm
- Two counts of possession of firearm and ammunition prohibition order
- Two counts possession of a firearm knowing serial number has been tampered with
- Two counts of possession of a firearm, prohibited or restricted weapon obtained by
- Two counts of possession of prohibited or restricted weapon firearm/ammunition
- Two counts of occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was a firearm
- Two counts of knowledge of unauthorized possession of
- Two counts of unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Two counts of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Two counts transport firearm, weapon, prohibited device or ammunition in a careless manner
- Two counts of fail to comply with a sentence contrary to section 137 of the Youth Criminal Justice Act
- Driver motor vehicle - no licence
The accused remains in custody following a bail hearing held by video in Blind River Wednesday.