Northern Ontario News | Local Breaking | CTV News Northern Ontario
Overnight power outage in Sudbury's south end
SUDBURY -- Sudbury Hydro says over 10,000 customers were affected by an overnight power outage, including the hospital.
Officials say power was lost at 10:47 p.m. Thursday due to a fault on the line that has now been isolated.
Sudbury Hydro says 10,649 customers were affected in the Ramsey Lake and Big Nickel Mine Road areas, including Health Sciences North.
All customers' power has been restored as of 2:05 a.m.
Several residents tell CTV News they were frustrated because they were not able to get through to the utility's phone line to report the outage when it happened.
Victoria Benkovich, of Greater Sudbury Hydro, says the company's phone lines were flooded with calls when the incident occurred and the system is not able to handle the large influx.
Benkovich says the hydro company largely relies on Facebook and Twitter to communicate with customers during an outage and because the emergency happened late in the evening, information was not communicated until after the power was restored.
She says they are working on an automated outage communication system, but is not able to confirm the timeline of its release.
The Canadian Red Cross recommends having a plan and an emergency preparedness kit ready at all times in the event of an emergency.
During a power outage, the Red Cross says to:
- Keep emergency numbers, such as your hydro company, handy
- Check to see if the outage is affecting your neighbours' home(s)
- If neighbours' power is also out, contact your hydro company
- If just your home, check your circuit breaker or fuse box
- Turn off all appliances and electronics and turn down thermostats
- Turn off all lights, except one inside and one outside, so you and hydro crews know when power has been restored
- Never use charcoal or gas barbecues, camping heating equipment or home generators indoors because of carbon monoxide emissions
- Use proper candle holders, deep and wide are best, and never leave lit candles unattended
- Check on vulnerable family members, friends and neighbours who may require assistance