Ontario's 37th case of COVID-19 is a Sudbury man who didn't travel internationally: health officials
SUDBURY -- Health officials in Sudbury, Ont. say the province's 37th confirmed case of COVID-19 is a man in his 50s, who didn't travel internationally before becoming ill.
During a Wednesday morning news conference, Dr. Penny Sutcliffe, medical officer of health with Public Health Sudbury and Districts, said the man went to the emergency department of Health Sciences North on March 7. He was discharged after testing, remains in self-isolation, and his contact with others is limited.
The patient attended the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada convention in Toronto on March 2 and 3 as a delegate.
Dr. Sutcliffe says public health is still at the preliminary stages of the investigation, but it appears the man contracted the virus at the convention. She stopped short of calling this a case of "community transmission." Sudbury is working with Toronto Health to determine any other potential exposures.
"I am confirming that based on our investigations so far, the individual was not infectious while attending the PDAC 2020 conference March 2 and 3 in Toronto," said Dr. Penny Sutcliffe, Sudbury & District Medical Officer of Health. "Our working hypothesis at this time is that this individual was exposed to COVID-19 while at the conference and therefore we are advising those who attended the conference to monitor for symptoms for 14 days since leaving this event."
The timeline of his travel:
- Travelled down on March 1 in his personal vehicle
- Travelled back March 4 in his personal vehicle
- Went to work March 5 and 6
- Went to hospital on the March 7
Dr. Sutcliffe says the individual did not travel abroad.
"We are not aware that the individual was in contact with a known confirmed case, so these are worrisome, these are of concern, however, we do know the individual did attend this conference where there were delegates from all over the world," said Dr. Sutcliffe.
Coronavirus newsletter sign-up: Get The COVID-19 Brief sent to your inbox
At the time of publishing, five of Ontario's COVID-19 cases have been resolved.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford was in attendance at the same PDAC conference on March 2.
Ford's director of media relations and press secretary, Ivana Yelich, says the premier has not experienced any COVID-19 symptoms.
"Premier Ford is in good health and has experienced none of the symptoms related to COVID-19. He remains vigilant and encourages all Ontarians to do the same by taking the preventive actions recommended by our incredible health officials," said Yelich Wednesday morning.
This is a developing story, check back often for updates.