Skip to main content

Northern Ont. man jailed 10 days for fishing violations


A Sault Ste. Marie man has been jailed for 10 days for failing to comply with a court order banning him from fishing.

Cameron Tucker was found guilty of not complying with a court order, fishing without a license, unlawfully depositing within 30 metres of any water live or dead baitfish and making a false statement to a fishery officer.

“He is suspended from any method of fishing in Ontario until April 21, 2031,” the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry said in a news release Friday.

“As well, he cannot possess any fishing equipment on, in or within 30 metres of any Ontario waters and cannot transport any fish taken from Ontario waters. Tucker must also not associate with or accompany any person who is engaged in any method of fishing in Ontario during the suspension.”

The case dates to March 19, 2023, when conservation officers working in Aberdeen Additional Township spotted Tucker angling through the ice on Tower Lake.

“Tucker was violating a court order prohibiting him from fishing,” the release said.

“Upon completion of fishing, Tucker was observed dumping the contents of a bait bag onto the ice. During the subsequent investigation, Tucker indicated that he was not fishing and that he was not in possession of any fish. Two splake were subsequently located in a sleigh.”

Justice of the Peace Sarah Keesmaat heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice in the Sault on Feb. 28.

To report a natural resource problem or provide information about an unsolved case, members of the public can call the ministry TIPS line toll-free at 1-877-847-7667.

Residents can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS. For more information about unsolved cases, click here. Top Stories

U.S. Supreme Court rejects 'Trump Too Small' trademark

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a political activist's attempt to trademark the phrase 'Trump Too Small,' saying the federal trademark office did not violate the First Amendment when it declined to register the mark.

Stay Connected