Northern leaders taking precautions after attending PDAC convention
SUDBURY -- Many mayors from communities across northeastern Ontario who attended last week's PDAC conference are taking extra precautions after a Sudbury man who attended the event tests positive for COVID-19.
Sudbury Mayor Brian Bigger says he is getting tested for COVID-19 Wednesday and will be working remotely after learning a case of the virus originated from the PDAC Convention.
"As Mayor of Greater Sudbury, I truly believe in leading by example. It's why I am being tested today. In the meantime, I will be working as much as I can afar. With technology, computers and cell-phones, I do not expect any significant interruption in my duties other than the inconvenience of not being able to conduct them in person," said Bigger.
North Bay Mayor Al McDonald says he is feeling no symptoms right now but is limiting his contact with the public and city staff while waiting to hear back from public health on the protocol.
Officials say a city staff member who also attended the conference is taking the same measures.
McDonald says extra cleaning has been happening in high-contact areas at city facilities in North Bay for at least two weeks.
As the lead for the Northern Ontario Mining Showcase at Toronto's PDAC Convention last week, the City of Temiskaming Shores is asking anyone who exhibited or volunteered at the Northern Ontario Night to monitor symptoms for 14 days as a precaution.
MP Anthony Rota says he is not experiencing any symptoms following his visit to the PDAC convention on March 1 for the opening of the Northern Ontario Mining Showcase.
"I am not experiencing any symptoms and am following the recommendations of public health officials to self-monitor as a precaution. I’d like to take this opportunity to reiterate the advice of local Medical Officer of Health Dr. Jim Chirico and encourage everyone in Nipissing-Timiskaming to be informed, be prepared and protect yourselves," said Rota.
At the time of publishing, the province says 41 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in Ontario. Of those cases, five have been resolved.
As of 10:30 a.m. March 11, the total number of Ontario patients approved for COVID-19 testing to date is 3,394, 465 of those are currently under investigation and 2,888 have come back negative.
Symptoms of COVID-19 can range from mild to severe and include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
If you suspect you have symptoms of COVID-19, call Telehealth Ontario for medical advice at 1-866-797-0000 (TTY 1-866-797-0007). If you are ill and must visit a health care professional, call ahead.
MPP Vic Fedeli also says he is symptom-free following his attendance at the mining convention.
Fedeli says he is self-monitoring as a precaution at the advice of public health officials.
According to the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, it is recommended that individuals who attended PDAC monitor their health. If you do not have symptoms, you do not need to separate yourself from others.