Northern fire update Wednesday, August 29
View about fire and MNRF waterbomber
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:15PM EDT
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry reports there was one new fire confirmed Wednesday, but it has been put out.
It was located 23 km northwest of Sundridge and only grew to about 0.1 hectares.
The number of active forest fires in the province is back at 25 and all are under control or being observed.
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services
Northeast Fire Region
August 29, 2018
Time of Report 17:10
- On the afternoon of August 29, there are 25 active forest fires across the Northeast. All 25 fires are either under control or being observed.
There was one new fire confirmed today, at the time of this update.
- Parry Sound 46 covered 0.1 of a hectare, was located 23 km westnorthwest of Sundridge. It has already been declared out.
Parry Sound 33
· This fire is under control at 11,362 hectares.
· To find an updated map of current travel restrictions visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
· Although the fire perimeter remains restricted, waterway and road restrictions were lifted effective 18:00 (6:00pm) on August 15, 2018.
· The fire perimeter will remain restricted for quite some time.
· Forest fire fighters on the ground continue to action the remaining hot spots in a coordinated and prioritized manner.
· For updates on highway conditions, including closures, please call 511.
- For information about the fire situation: 1-888-220-7242
- For media inquiries: 705-564-6156
- For inquiries about French River Provincial Park restrictions: 705-857-1630 ext. 224
- For Parry Sound District information, call 1-888-220-7242
- For Sudbury District information, call 1-888-220-7242
Resources From Out of Province
Ontario is receiving support from across Canada to assist with the fire situation, in the form of equipment from the following provinces and territories:
- British Columbia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
Travel restrictions in parts of Parry Sound district due to Parry Sound 33 fire.
In order to ensure MNRF and emergency officials are able to continue fire suppression operations in areas affected by large forest fires, travel restrictions remain in place near the Parry Sound 33 forest fire. These restrictions are in place to ensure public safety and the safety of emergency personnel working in the affected areas. Although some restrictions have been removed, others remain in place.
Parry Sound 33 Fire Perimeter
There is no access permitted within the fire perimeter as shown on the Implementation Map unless authorized by travel permit issued by Parry Sound District or Sudbury District Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF).
For information on travel restrictions and travel permits, please call 1-888-220-7242. For a visual representation of the affected areas please visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
· Smoke drift from large fires in British Columbia and the United States may be evident until weather patterns change.
· For information about the impacts smoke on your health please contact Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000.
Fire numbers and online information
- To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE
- To report a forest fire located south of the French or Mattawa rivers, please dial 911.
- Follow us on Twitter: @ONForestFires / @ONFeudeforêt
Prepared by Isabelle Chenard