Northern fire update Friday, September 7
Aerial view of burned areas of Parry Sound 33
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Friday, September 7, 2018 7:16PM EDT
Great news for the forest fire situation Friday.
The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry say the number of active fires has dropped drastically from 24 to 11 in the last 24 hours.
14 fires were put out, including a new fire confirmed Friday in the Hearst area.
For the first time this summer, the forest fire hazard in the north east is low to moderate for most of the region. There are still some parts of the north in the high or extreme range.
Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services
Northeast Fire Region
September 7, 2018
Time of Report 18:28
- On the afternoon of September 7, there are 11 active forest fires across the Northeast. All 11 fires are under control or being observed. 14 forest fires have been declared out in the Cochrane and Hearst districts.
- There was one new fire confirmed today, at the time of this update. Hearst 17 has been declared out at 0.1 hectares
- The forest fire hazard in the Northeast is low to moderate for most of the region except for portions of the north which are in the high to extreme range.
Parry Sound 33
· This fire is under control at 11,362 hectares.
· To find an updated map of current travel restrictions visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
· Although the fire perimeter remains restricted, waterway and road restrictions were lifted effective 18:00 (6:00pm) on August 15, 2018.
· The fire perimeter will remain restricted for quite some time.
· Forest fire fighters on the ground continue to action the remaining hot spots in a coordinated and prioritized manner.
· For updates on highway conditions, including closures, please call 511.
- For information about the fire situation: 1-888-220-7242
- For media inquiries: 705-564-6156
- For inquiries about French River Provincial Park restrictions: 705-857-1630 ext. 224
- For Parry Sound District information, call 1-888-220-7242
- For Sudbury District information, call 1-888-220-7242
Resources From Out of Province
Ontario is receiving support from across Canada to assist with the fire situation, in the form of equipment from the following provinces and territories:
- British Columbia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
Travel restrictions in parts of Parry Sound district due to Parry Sound 33 fire.
In order to ensure MNRF and emergency officials are able to continue fire suppression operations in areas affected by large forest fires, travel restrictions remain in place near the Parry Sound 33 forest fire. These restrictions are in place to ensure public safety and the safety of emergency personnel working in the affected areas. Although some restrictions have been removed, others remain in place.
Parry Sound 33 Fire Perimeter
There is no access permitted within the fire perimeter as shown on the Implementation Map unless authorized by travel permit issued by Parry Sound District or Sudbury District Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF).
For information on travel restrictions and travel permits, please call 1-888-220-7242. For a visual representation of the affected areas please visit Ontario.ca/forestfire.
Fire numbers and online information
- To report a forest fire located north of the French and Mattawa rivers, please dial 310-FIRE
- To report a forest fire located south of the French or Mattawa rivers, please dial 911.
- Follow us on Twitter: @ONForestFires / @ONFeudeforêt
Prepared by Jonathan Scott