SilverCity Sudbury to reopen Friday, one of 25 theatres opening in Ontario
SUDBURY -- It will look a little different, and you'll have to wear a mask, but Cineplex will reopen its doors in Greater Sudbury on Friday, after being closed since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In a news release Friday, Cineplex said it is welcoming people back by offering tickets for just $5. SilverCity is the only theatre in northern Ontario opening July 31, but the company said the rest of its theatres will reopen soon.
"The company is taking a phased approach to reopening and anticipates that the majority of its locations will reopen over the next several weeks, including its 43 other theatre locations across Ontario," the company said in a news release.
"All theatres will open with enhanced safety and cleaning measures, as well as updated procedures to allow for physical distancing both inside and outside auditoriums."
Cineplex has worked with public health and infectious disease experts to "maximize safety precautions for all team members and guests," the release said.
Some of the new measures include:
- Launching reserved seating in all auditoriums across Canada; seating options will be automatically blocked off to ensure proper distance in every direction between guests.
- Reducing capacity in all auditoriums to allow for physical distancing.
- Enhancing cleaning practices throughout its facilities, with particular focus on high-contact surfaces, restrooms and seats.
- Accepting debit and credit payments only, with the exception of gift card purchases.
- Limiting food offerings in theatres to Cineplex’s famous popcorn and other core concessions.
- Ensuring employees have the personal protective equipment they need.
- Making hand sanitizer readily available for guests and employees throughout its buildings.
- In communities where it is mandated, Cineplex is requiring guests to wear masks inside the theatre.
“The past four months have given us a new appreciation for the importance of friends and family and the power of shared experiences with those we love,” Ellis Jacob, president and CEO of Cineplex, said in the release.
“Entertaining is what we do best, and we simply can’t wait to safely welcome guests back to our theatres.”
To welcome movie-lovers back, Cineplex will be offering $5 tickets and showing popular new releases and summer favourites you may have missed in theatres like Beauty and the Beast, Jaws, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Invisible Man, Bloodshot, Sonic The Hedgehog, My Spy, Jurassic Park, Gravity and Jumanji: The Next Level.