Wildfires have burned more than 110,000 hectares in Ontario
With the sunshine and warmer temperatures over the weekend, the fire hazard in northeastern Ontario has returned to high as the number of active and out-of-control fires continues to decrease.
Last week, northeastern Ontario got some much-needed rain which temporarily lowered the danger rating, but the restricted fire zone remained in effect.
As of Monday morning, there are 51 active wildfires in northern Ontario – 20 in the northeast and 31 in the northwest – down from 67 the previous week.
Two of the three new fires in the last 24 hours began in the northeast, where there are 12 not yet under control.
The number of fires not yet under control in the northwest has decreased to eight.
There have been 278 wildfires since April 12 that have burned around 110,675 hectares (ha) and 227 of the fires have been extinguished. The number of fires is more than triple the total in 2022.
The restricted fire zone and fire ban remain in place for the region despite the forest fire danger rating in the northeast dropping to low.
"One thing (Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services) is doing is we’re continuing to monitor the landscape for holdover lightning, because this is lightning that can strike the ground and cause an under, almost beneath the surface ignition, and so fire management staff are still on the lookout for these hold over lightening fires," Kyle Hayward of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to CTV News in an interview.
North of Lake Abitibi and east of Iroquois Falls near the Quebec border, Cochrane 7 still burns out of control and remains at 10,720 ha in size, the largest in the northeast region.
Cochrane 7 started June 2 and on Tuesday, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry declared travel, use and access restrictions for the area.
Travel, use and access restrictions in place for areas north of Lake Abitibi due to three forest fires. June 4/23 (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry)
Gabrielle Ayres, an MNRF fire information officer for the Cochrane District, told CTV News in a phone interview that people in the implementation area near Cochrane 5, 6 and 7 are not being forced to evacuate at this time.
Ayres said the required travel permits allow the ministry to know where people are as firefighters continue to battle the blaze and keep them safe.
"Construction of dozer guards along the south end and western flank are ongoing to help contain the fire. The fire is 90 km east of Cochrane," the ministry said.
"If you have any questions or require travel permits, please contact the Hearst-Cochrane-Kapuskasing District office at 705-272-7178 or by email email@example.com."
Highway 652 has fully reopened after being partially closed due to nearby wildfires.
The third largest fire in the northeast is Sudbury 17 located about 55 kilometres north of Massey, which is about 96 km west of Greater Sudbury. Sudbury 17 is at 5,857 ha and is not yet under control.
Fire crews are allocated to this fire. It has grown about 600 ha since last week.
There is an evacuation order in place for communities around Highway 810, which is closed.
- Facing evacuations due to a forest fire or flood? Here's what to pack in a grab-and-go bag
- Here's what you need to do before you leave your house in a forest fire-prompted evacuation
Evacuation area due to wildfire Sudbury 17. June 7/23 (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry)
The Hwy. 810 closure has been expanded south to include an approximate two km stretch of Highway 553 to Tertiary Road.
MNRF also has travel, access and use restrictions in place.
Meanwhile in Elliot Lake, provincial police and city officials said in a news release Friday, "there is currently no need for an evacuation" in their community.
"The public will be notified immediately if this changes. (Elliot Lake) Fire Chief John Thomas is in constant contact with Ministry of Natural Resource crews who are actively working on the SUD#017 fire," Ontario Provincial Police said.
"Additional information will be provided when it becomes available should the situation change."
The second largest fire in northeastern Ontario is Wawa 3 near White River. The fire is being held at 6,678 ha. An implementation order was placed on June 4 restricting travel in areas where active fire and fire suppression are taking place.
FIRES OF NOTE
Chapleau 3 is located east of Chapleau, remains 3,916 hectares in size and not under control. Values assessment and protection are ongoing. Helicopter bucket operations took place yesterday to work priority areas on the fire. Travel, use and access restrictions have been put in place for this area.
"If you have any questions or require travel permits, please contact the Chapleau-Wawa District Office at 705-856-2396," the MNRF said.
Kirkland Lake 5 remains at 2,300 hectares not under control north of Lady Evelyn Lake. Value assessment and protection are ongoing.
Sudbury 10 started June 2 east of Spanish River Provincial Park north of Espanola and has grown about 300 ha to 1,370 ha.
Chapleau 6 remains 1,239 hectares and is located about 48 km northwest of Chapleau and about 15.7 km west of the southern point of Missinaibi Provincial Park.
Sudbury 19 started June 4 west of the same provincial park and has increased a bit to 459 ha.
Timmins 7 is currently sized at 149 hectares west of Mattagami First Nation currently not under control. Crews have established hose lines on the south end of the fire.
CTVNewsNorthernOntario.ca will continue to have daily and breaking news updates as the forest fire situation continues.
- Download our app to get local alerts on your device
- Get the latest local updates sent right to your inbox
REGIONAL FIRE BAN STILL IN EFFECT
Most of northern Ontario remains a restricted fire zone that prohibits open-air burning, including campfires.
"Portable gas or propane stoves may be used for cooking and warmth BUT must be handled with extreme caution," MNRF said.
Since the regional ban took effect last week, three people have been charged for having campfires which comes with an $880 fire. Two others were charged for breaking the municipal fire ban in Elliot Lake on May 31.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Last living suspect in 1996 drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur indicted in Las Vegas on murder charge
A man who prosecutors say ordered the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur was arrested and charged with murder Friday in a long-awaited breakthrough in one of hip-hop's most enduring mysteries.
A bail bondsman charged alongside former President Donald Trump and 17 others in the Georgia election interference case pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges on Friday, becoming the first defendant to accept a plea deal with prosecutors.
A new study finds walking an additional 3,000 steps per day can significantly reduce high blood pressure in older adults with hypertension.
The country's top soldier and outside experts say that finding almost $1 billion in savings in the Department of National Defence budget will affect the Armed Forces' capabilities, although the defence minister insisted Friday the budget is not being cut.
Economists warn both Canada's economy and individual Canadians could suffer from impacts of a U.S. government shutdown, and that those impacts will deepen and broaden the longer it lasts.
The federal Liberal government has made a lot of promises to Indigenous Peoples. But do those promises line up with what communities on the ground really want and need, or reflect their diversity?
The Toronto Blue Jays could clinch a playoff spot for the second straight season as soon as tonight.
A Scarborough family said they were shocked to get a notice from the City of Toronto that the artificial grass in their backyard, including a putting green, will have to be ripped out.
For the past five days, vehicles laden with refugees have poured into Armenia, fleeing from the crumbling enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh in neighbouring Azerbaijan. In a special report for CTVNews.ca, journalist Neil Hauer recounts what it's like on the ground in Armenia.
The man at the centre of a massive police search this week in Bracebridge has been found dead.
The Barrie woman accused of impaired driving causing a crash that seriously injured three pedestrians parted ways with her lawyer, further delaying court proceedings.
The charges against a woman accused of attempted murder and discharging a firearm in a Barrie catwalk shooting earlier this year have been withdrawn.
An orphaned burgundy brick house sitting in the shadow of a midtown Toronto tower – one of the area’s last hold-out properties – sold for more than one million over asking this month.
The Toronto Blue Jays moved closer to securing a playoff berth Friday night with an 11-4 victory over the Tampa Bay Rays at Rogers Centre.
Three family members recently scored a major lottery prize and kept their win a secret from the rest of their loved ones.
Passengers will not be boarding the Trillium Line until the spring of 2024, as construction continues on the new north-south light-rail transit line between Bayview Station and Riverside South.
The National Capital Commission held a ceremony to unveil the new sign for the Kichi Zībī Mīkan on Friday ahead of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
The lowest-paid workers in Ottawa and eastern Ontario will receive a $1.05 an hour pay bump this weekend.
'Still so many questions': Arrest in Joshua Tarnue murder case brings mixed emotions for family, friends
The family and friends of Joshua Tarnue are left with questions following new police developments in the murder case.
A number of events are being organized around Waterloo Region to mark the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on Saturday Sept. 30.
A major development in a local infrastructure project has been unveiled by the province.
Suspect flees from police after uttering death threats, prompts 'code silver' at University Hospital
It was a tense night for police and hospital workers after a Norfolk County man who fled from police after uttering death threats attended a London, Ont. hospital, prompting a code silver situation.
'Your tip could make a difference': Owen Sound police, OPP renew appeal to public for information in restaurateur's homicide
Nearly six weeks after a violent assault claimed the life of a beloved restauranteur in Owen Sound, Ont., police are once again appealing to the public for information that could help crack the case.
Sarnia police have arrested a man after a violent attack nearly three months ago left an 81-year-old senior with 'life-altering injuries.'
The Windsor Police Service has charged a suspect in a decade-old robbery and assault thanks to DNA evidence.
A boil water advisory has been in place for Tilbury and Wheatley residents since Sept. 13.
'We can’t have reconciliation until we have the truth': Windsor honouring National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
Several events are taking place around Windsor-Essex to mark the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation along with Orange Shirt Day on Saturday, Sept. 30.
The Societe de transport de Montreal (STM) is equipping special metro constables with a gel form of pepper spray to deal with violence. The irritant would be used "as a last resort in cases where safety is at stake," said an STM spokesperson in a statement Friday.
One person was arrested Friday as hundreds of protestors marched through the streets of Montreal to denounce the government’s response to climate change.
It's been a long wait, but six Ukrainian students who arrived in Quebec City to start school last month are finally in a classroom. The teenagers have been waiting for the education ministry to issue their eligibility certificates so they can study in English as they requested.
Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Andrew Furey made a solemn apology today to survivors of residential schools in southern Labrador.
Joshua Ghiringhelli is still be waiting to be fully licensed as a pharmacist in Nova Scotia almost a year after he moved to the picturesque rural community of Boutillier’s Point.
Every homeless person has a different story, no matter where they come from, and that is no different for Dianne Munnings from the Bahamas.
Manitoba finance officials are reporting a $270 million surplus for the end of the 2022-2023 fiscal year.
A Winnipeg woman has pleaded guilty to handing out cannabis gummies to kids last Halloween.
A political expert says a new NDP candidate could change things in the Liberal stronghold of River Heights.
What started as a routine walk with her dog in the northeast Calgary community of Rundle on Sept. 17 quickly turned into an ordeal Aman Lamoureux will never forget.
A committee of experts tasked by the City of Calgary with providing downtown public safety recommendations is now beginning work on finding solutions to address addictions issues, housing concerns and crime.
Cathy Brodner got some unexpected visitors Thursday morning that were a little more photogenic than your run-of-the-mill backyard invaders.
Premier Danielle Smith says the first steps are coming this fall to reconfigure Alberta’s health delivery system — a plan the Opposition calls a recipe for more chaos from a government fresh off turning lab testing into a debacle.
A ceremony was held on Friday to mark the reopening of Edmonton's Queen Elizabeth Planetarium after years of restoration work.
A 39-year-old man who was recently released from jail with court-issued conditions was the subject of a public warning by Edmonton police on Friday.
According to police, Dr. Tracy Pickett, 55, was reported missing on Wednesday, prompting a large search at Pacific Spirit Regional Park. Her remains were discovered Thursday evening.
The B.C. Supreme Court has dismissed a neighbourhood association's attempt to stop the City of Vancouver from providing services to the massive Senakw development currently under construction at the south end of the Burrard Bridge.
The group behind the tiny yellow stickers that are being spotted at intersections all over Vancouver hopes they will lead to safer roads.