'Major' residential fire on Bruce Avenue in Sudbury, multiple fatalities
SUDBURY -- Sudbury firefighters were called to a housing unit at 744 Bruce Avenue early Sunday morning for what they said was a major residential fire.
Emergency crews received a call around 4:45 a.m. after a neighbour noticed smoke and flames.
About 15 people had to be evacuated from the row housing as a result of the blaze.
In a news release issued late Sunday afternoon, Sudbury police said a 37-year-old man was able to escape the fire by jumping from a second-story window and a 33-year-old woman, who was removed from the building by firefighters, were transported to hospital where they remain in critical condition.
CTV News has learned that at least two people are dead, a 50-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman. One of the deceased was pronounced at the scene while the other later died of their injuries in hospital.
There were no other injuries reported but a total of 11 people have been displaced as a result of damage to the building. The Red Cross is assisting those impacted with accommodations.
Greater Sudbury Police Service detectives from the Criminal Investigations Division are leading the investigation with assistance from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office and the local coroner’s office.
Police will not release the names of the victims out of respect for their families.
"When crews arrived they certainly found a large volume of fire coming from the first floor of the residence. There were reports that an individual exited the building from a second-story window," said Deputy Fire Chief Jesse Oshell, of the Greater Sudbury Fire Service.
"Our crews made quick entry did a primary search and were able to remove an additional three individuals from the occupancy and then start to suppress that fire."
In a tweet just after 6:00 a.m., Oshell said crews arrived on-scene early Sunday morning and later confirmed the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office had been called in to investigate.
"The ages of the individuals I do not know, however, they were three adults that were removed from the building. There were no children involved," said Oshell.