SUDBURY -- A harmful algae bloom (cyanobacteria), also known as blue-green algae, has been found in Lake Nosbonsing, the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit said Monday.

"Species of the algae capable of producing toxins were confirmed by the laboratory of the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks," the health unit said in a news release. "The toxins in harmful algae can irritate the skin and, if swallowed, cause diarrhea and vomiting."

Residents on the lake may be affected depending on their closeness to the algae bloom, the size of the lake, wind direction, water flow, and other environmental conditions that cannot be predicted or controlled.

"Due to the many factors involved, government authorities are unable to determine where and when there are no toxins," the release said. "Users are advised to exercise their judgment before using the water."

For further details on the sampling process, contact the Spills Action Centre at the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks at 1-800-268-6060.

If you live near where a bloom is visible, follow these safety measures:

• Do not use the water. This includes drinking, cooking, bathing, and brushing teeth. Note: Using a private water system or boiling the water will not destroy the toxins.

• Do not swim and avoid water sports when a bloom is present.

• If skin contact does occur, wash with soap and water then rinse thoroughly with clean water to remove algae.

• Limit the amount of fish flesh you eat. Some toxins can build up in fish and shellfish. Do not eat the liver, kidneys and other organs. Be careful not to cut the organs when filleting.

• The health unit has not closed the beaches, but advises individuals that they need to take caution in the area.

You can find out more about harmful algae at or by calling the health unit at 705-474-1400, ext. 5400, or 1-800-563-2808.