Garson apartment fire causes more than $250K damage
SUDBURY -- Firefighters responded to a residential fire at an apartment building on Moreau Ave in Garson at 7 a.m. Friday morning, Sudbury fire officials said.
Darcy Blanchette said he was getting ready for work around 7:15 a.m. when he heard people screaming.
"I went to look and there were people, my cousin included, running into the building knocking on doors to tell people to get out," said Blanchette.
Fire crews from Garson, Falconbridge, and New Sudbury arrived to find flames coming from the balcony of a second-floor unit and spreading to the roof.
Blanchette said he overheard a firefighter say that one of the fire hydrants wasn't working right away.
Blanchette said he stayed back because the fire was burning too hot.
"The crews were able to start applying water from the outside and get that fire knocked down quickly," said Deputy Chief Jesse Oshell of Greater Sudbury Fire Services. "However, with the mansard-style roof, the fire was spreading inside of that cavity and spreading quickly, so it took a little time for our crews to perform some actions to peel away some of that roofing material, work on it from the roof itself in order to get the fire under control."
All residents were able to exit the building without any injuries.
Roughly 20 firefighters attended the fire.
Blanchette captured video of one of the firefighters climbing down a ladder with a cat that was found hiding in a bathroom. Another cat was also rescued from the blaze.
Firefighters remain on scene and Oshell says he is unsure of the extent of the damage but is estimating it to be anywhere between $250,000 and $500,000.
"We are certainly looking at one complete unit, if not two, with damage. There will be water and smoke damage in the adjoining and lower units as well," said Oshell.
People sprang into action right away on social media to help the family that lost everything.
Deanna Desrocher said in a comment on social media that she has taken in the family's two cats until they can get things figured out.
She said that the husband and wife that live at the unit that was destroyed by fire have an 18-month-old daughter.
"(They) have a small daughter and no clothing, toys or anything. Everything is gone," said Desrocher.
She is collecting donated items to help the family. The little girl wears size 2T, her mom wears size small and her dad wears a men's large. She is coordinating collection via Facebook Messenger.
No word yet on the cause of the fire or how many people have been displaced.
The name of the street has been updated from what was originally reported by fire officials and spelling corrected. The wrong gender pronouns were originally used for Darcy Blanchette, they have been corrected to he/him.