Former Sudbury track coach back on trial for sexual assault
SUDBURY -- A former Sudbury track coach is back on trial in another sexual assault case, in which a former local sprinter is also accused.
David Case and former Sudbury sprinter, Celine Loyer, showed little emotion in a Sudbury courtroom Monday morning, as their trial got underway.
The complainant in the case, who can’t be identified because of a court-ordered publication ban, testified she had been invited to the home of Case and Loyer for a barbecue in June 2011.
She had arrived at the home around 7:30 and was eating on the couch. She testified she had been served what Case had told her was a "strong beer."
After dinner, the woman said Case left and then came back with shots.
"Next thing I know, my head hits the couch and I have no memory of that night," she said. "I have no recollection after being on that couch."
She told the Crown she remembered being brought back to her home, the following day, sloppy, struggling and lighting the wrong end of a cigarette.
"I could barely speak or put a sentence together, I just wanted to go to bed," she said.
She started to have flashbacks, remembering an assault on the living room floor. It was her romantic partner who suggested she go to police, file a complaint and get a sexual assault kit done.
"I was concerned, but I also idolized these people and wanted to be friends with them," the woman told the court.
She reported the incident to police about a week later.
Her medical records were submitted as evidence from an exam on June 22, 2011 at the Sudbury Regional Hospital.
The woman adds she felt sick for a few weeks with vomiting and diarrhea after the evening of the barbecue.
The trial is slated to wrap up on Friday.
Both Case and Loyer have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.