Crown won’t appeal verdict in case of lone person facing charges after Elliot Lake mall collapse
Robert Wood was charged with criminal negligence. (File photo)
CTV Northern Ontario
Published Friday, July 14, 2017 6:28PM EDT
There will be no appeal of the acquittal last month of former engineer Robert Wood on charges connected to the 2012 Algo Centre Mall collapse in Elliot Lake.
The crown attorney's office told CTV the decision will not be appealed.
Wood was the lone person facing criminal charges following collapse.
He was charged with two counts of criminal negligence causing death and one count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm; following the deadly collapse in 2012 that claimed the lives of Lucie Aylwin and Doloris Perizzolo.
During a hearing spanning four hours back in June, Justice Edward Gareau found former engineer Robert Wood not guilty of criminal negligence.
Wood inspected the mall weeks before it collapsed. In his decision, Gareau said there was not enough evidence to support criminal negligence beyond a reasonable doubt.
The judge said Wood must accept a 'moral responsibility' for his actions and those actions will follow him for the rest of his life.
Gareau said there was there was not enough evidence to support criminal negligence beyond a reasonable doubt. He called Wood's actions 'sloppy', but not criminal.