SUDBURY -- Test results from samples taken from Ramsey Lake in Greater Sudbury have confirmed the presence of blue-green algae, Public Health Sudbury & Districts announced Friday.

The samples, taken July 14, were tested by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, who advised the health unit of the presence cyanobacteria, the technical term for the bloom.

"The samples contained a species of cyanobacteria that can produce toxins," Public Health said in a news release.

Blue-green algal blooms could also appear in other parts of the lake because blooms are not anchored. That means they can move from one location to another through wind and water action.

"New blooms can also form," the release said. "All residents on lakes should look for blooms in their area."

Pea soup appearance

Blue-green algal blooms have an unsightly pea soup appearance and foul smell, and can produce toxins. Residents should avoid using or drinking water from areas where blooms are visible.

The highest concentrations of toxins are usually found in blooms and scum on the shoreline. These dense accumulations pose the greatest potential risks to people and pets. The algae toxins can irritate a person’s skin and, if ingested, cause diarrhea and vomiting. If a person ingests high levels of toxin, they could suffer liver and nervous system damage.

If you see a bloom near your property or water intake line:

- Avoid using the water for drinking, bathing, or showering, and do not allow children, pets, or livestock to drink or swim in the bloom.

- Be aware that shallow drinking water intake pipes can pump in blue-green algae.

- Do not boil the water or treat it with a disinfectant, like bleach, because it breaks open the algae cells, which releases more toxins into the water.

- Do not rely on water jug filtration systems as they may not protect against the toxins.

- Avoid cooking with the water because food may absorb toxins from the water during cooking.

- Follow the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Park Guide to Eating Ontario Fish. Exercise caution with respect to eating fish caught in water where blue-green algal blooms occur. Residents should not eat the liver, kidneys, and other organs of fish.

"On lakes and rivers where blue-green algal blooms are confirmed, people who use the surface water for their private drinking water supply may wish to consider an alternate, protected source of water," the release said.

For more information on blue-green algae, including a list and map of water bodies with confirmed blooms, visit the health unit's website or call 1-705-522-9200, ext. 464, or toll-free 1-866-522-9200.