A popular downtown tavern in Sault Ste. Marie is closed after a fire broke out on Sunday night.

Sault Fire Services was called to Reggie's Place at around 6 p.m. as smoke was seen billowing from upstairs apartments in the rear of the bar.

Nobody was injured, but eight people who live there have been displaced.

Fire officials said the scene is under investigation and the Ontario Fire Marshall has been called in to help with the investigation.

The tavern's owner, Reggie Daigle, said he hopes to re-open the bar and restaurant soon.