Skip to main content

Attempted murder, drug charges follow shooting in Greater Sudbury

Share

One person is charged with attempt murder and two people have been charged with drug and weapons offences following a shooting early Friday morning in Greater Sudbury.

Police responded at 12:15 a.m. to a report that someone was shot on Agnes Street. (Lyndsay Aelick/CTV News)

Police responded at 12:15 a.m. to a report that someone was shot on Agnes Street.

“Information provided was that a community member heard what were believed to be gunshots and could see an individual lying on the ground,” police said in a news release Friday.

“While officers were en route, a description of the individuals believed to be involved in the incident was provided.”

Police found a 26-year-old victim who had been shot once. He was taken to hospital by paramedics with serious but not life-threatening injuries.

“Additional officers quickly located two people matching the descriptions of the individuals believed to be involved in the incident,” police said.

“The two individuals were placed under arrest. Upon searching the individuals, officers located a loaded handgun, a knife, over 30 grams of fentanyl and over $560 in cash on one of the parties.”

A 27-year-old suspect is charged with attempted murder, several weapons charges and drug trafficking.

A 40-year-old suspect was charged with carrying a concealed weapon along with several other related weapons charges.

Both suspects are slated to be in bail court Friday.

“Officers will be conducting an evidentiary ground search in the area of Agnes Street this afternoon in relation to this matter,” police said.

“Community members are asked to avoid the area while officers are on scene.”

Detectives will also be canvassing the area for video surveillance footage. Anyone with information related to the incident is asked to contact police at 705-675-9171 or Crime Stoppers at 705-222-8477. 

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Foreign Affairs Minister insists there are no ‘traitors’ in Liberal caucus

Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly insists there are no "traitors" in the Liberal caucus, after a report from the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP) alleged there are MPs and senators who are “semi-witting or witting participants” in foreign interference efforts.

Stay Connected